1. Novel? What novel?
2. I’ll write a chapter as soon as I finish folding the laundry. Putting away the groceries. Painting my linen closet. Re-organizing the construction paper in rainbow order. Polishing the stainless steel flatware.
3. “Maman. Can you help me find my eye-patch?”
4. The stack of 150 essays analyzing Sartre’s No Exit and Saint-Exupery’s Night Flightwaiting for me to grade.
5. “Maman. Can you help me find my sword?”
6. Amazon. NYTimes. Youtube. Netflix.
7. Of course I can volunteer to organize and run the school’s book fair. In one week.
8. I should probably check my email.
9. “Maman. I don’t want to be a pirate anymore. Can you help me find my fireman’s hat?”
10. I’m not sleeping. I’m brainstorming in my bed with my eyes closed.